No more bird seed for Big Bird
The Republicans haven’t a clue on how to run this race for the presidency or how to win. They’ve fielded an entitled billionaire with delusions of public service and a hatchet man determined to axe the very heart of the constituency that will make the difference in this campaign — the middle class — by setting their sights on non-issues, like funding for PBS.
The last time the government decided to cut the budget and targeted PBS, pledge breaks were once or twice a year, now they are every 6 weeks, cutting shows like Masterpiece Theatre and Sesame Street with the usual begging breaks for funds to continue operations. I quit watching PBS a long time ago because of the increase of pledge breaks, but that does not mean that I don’t support public broadcasting. Hundreds of my hard earned dollars went for keeping those shows on the air, even though I no longer have children to watch Big Bird, Bert, and Ernie. And Cookie Monster, of course.
Why do the Republicans do this to themselves? Why don’t they get that they need to do what Obama did, court the middle class and do it with some semblance of dignity and belief. Romney & Ryan are one act short of a three ring circus, but definitely not of the Barnum & Bailey type. They are the cheesy carny version and don’t have enough brains to keep the rubes from figuring out they intend to bleed them dry. Here’s a tip, Mitt. If you tell the rubes you’re going to fleece them, you will not have enough arms and legs to climb into your center ring.
A better strategy would be to face what is happening to the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Own up to how you’ve raped and pillaged your way to your billions, billions you will never live long enough to spend since you’re not going to live a few millennia, and mend your privileged and entitled ways. You are what the Tea Party movement was partly about, that 1 percent of the obscenely rich that are intent on getting richer by any means necessary, like sending jobs overseas and raiding corporations for the liquidity of their retirement funds.
Here’s what you need to do to win.
- Lay off PBS and other small time publicly funded operations that aren’t even an amoeba on a flea on a rat of the King rat of the deficit.
- Focus on jobs, specifically on closing those loopholes that allow corporations to send jobs overseas to be done by third world people named Bob and Sue and speaking with accents so thick the sharpest knife couldn’t cut them.
- Have a serious plan about how to manage and discharge the national debt that doesn’t end up bleeding the middle class dry and putting them on the dole.
- Court the middle class and do it with a solid plan and not the fiery rhetoric of hope and change that worked so well for Obama. You’re not sympathetic enough to be able to pull that one off at this point.
- Make it part of your platform to leave Medicare and Social Security intact and untouched by Congress, unless it is to expand Medicare services and keep Social Security from being used as a political slush fund.
- Stay out of issues that the government has no business getting involved in, like abortion and homosexual marriage. Let people deal with them.
- Set up a solid plan for refunding raped and pillaged retirement plans/funds and then actually do something about it.
- Increase taxes — on the rich — making sure they pay their fair share. Close those tax loopholes. No one needs to be that rich.
- Focus on what Obama has done to the country, the Constitution, and to Americans. Dig a little deeper and come up with credible and actual information and intel. Show, don’t tell.
- Dump Ryan or rein him in. Right now, neither of you are sympathetic or viable candidates. You have a short time to do a big job. If you want to save the country that made you both wealthy, use your power and do something about it.
The way to win the election is to set the engine of the middle class on the right track and ride it all the way into the station. It is the middle class that decides who sits in the Oval Office and not PACs and corporations and special interest groups. The very people that watch Big Bird with their kids and settle back into their recliners to enjoy time with Red Green and Masterpiece are the same people whose votes matter. Open the floodgates and properly fund PBS — so the floodgates of middle class voters will open and put you in the White House.
Above all, be believable. Right now, the only thing I believe is that you’re just another pair of greedy one percenters whose only agenda is more — for you, not the people. Get with the program.