Update: Seventeen injured in Tuscaloosa shooting
A man has been charged with the shooting spree in Tuscaloosa.
CNN reports, 44-year-old Nathan Wilkins will be charged with 17 counts of attempted murder. He will also face another attempted murder charge for a shooting in a subdivision earlier that night.
The suspect had gone to a town about 50 miles north of Tuscaloosa, Jasper, Alabama, on Tuesday and “indicated he was part of the incident,” said Police Chief Steve Anderson.
Police in Jasper arrested Wilkins and he was transported into police custody in Tuscaloosa.
Based on what he had told police, they are confident that they have the right guy. At this time they have no recovered any weapons.
WAFF reports the shooting happened at the Copper Top Bar shortly after 1 a.m. Wilkins fired into the bar and also shot at people as they tried to exit the building.
Riley Dunn, a senior at the University of Alabama, was at the bar and was injured that night. He told According to Tuscaloosa News,
“We were all just shooting pool and hanging out,” said Dunn, whose leg was bandaged from what he described as a shrapnel-like wound. “It was kind of loud from the music, but we heard the gun shot and no one really knew what to think. The first gunshot took place, then about 20 seconds later then that’s when he really started firing them off. After that everyone really scattered.”
Wilkins is in the Tuscaloosa County jail with a $2 million bond.